Friday, May 24, 2013

Comfort

Today was the last day of a week long training.  I am totally feeling it.  Although it was a great training it was a long week of traveling back and forth and sitting in a classroom all day.  It makes me tired.  One of the things we talked about was comfort and it got me thinking about the things that give me comfort and of course the first thing I think of is comfort foods.  I am from a big Italian family.  We use food for everything and that made it easy to fall in love with food and of course with making food.  I love all the comfort foods, who doesn't, that's why they are called comfort foods right?  I have always loved pasta and breads and tons of carbs.  I don't eat many carbs these days but occasionally I like to have a free day.  I am careful to make sure that it is within a week in which I have worked out a little harder and stayed on plan.  I have worked hard this week.  I have not missed a day at the gym and I am down 6 pounds.


I also thought about emotional comfort and it goes so well with comfort food because we eat from an emotional hunger more often than a physical one.  We eat when we are happy, sad, celebrating, grieving, whatever.  Food plays a lot of roles in our lives not just for nutrition.   I still get the emotional satisfaction, just in a healthier way.  JD and I made dinner together tonight.  I like cooking together.  It gives us time to talk about our day and our lives and our kids.  They make appearances in the kitchen as well, mostly to pick at whatever we are making.  Comfort foods and comfort from just being home.  Just ending my long week with my peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment